Board Certified Podiatrists Dr. Patricia Nicholas & Dr. Garrett Kalmar serving Wading River, Riverhead, North Shore Long Island, NY
Patricia Nicholas, DPM
Born in the late 1960’s in Haiti, Dr. Nicholas immigrated to the United States in 1982. She graduated from Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn, New York in 1984. She received a Bachelor’s of Science degree from St. Francis College in 1989 with minors in French and Philosophy. Dr. Patricia Nicholas is a graduate of the New York College of Podiatric Medicine where she pursued a doctoral degree. She completed her residency at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. Her Diplomate, American Academy of Wound Management was conferred in 2001. She is on staff at Northwell Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, NY.
She is an active member of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). She is the current President of the New York State Podiatric Medical Association (NYSPMA). She has chaired the Ethics Committee, Awards and Recognition Committee and the Membership Committee, Public Education and Information Committee among many others. She is also the current Chair of the Podiatry Committee for the State of New York Workers' Compensation Board. She is an adjunct clinical instructor at the New York College of Podiatric Medicine.
She has a private practice, Lite Step Podiatry Wellness, PC in Wading River, New York. She also serves as an Elder at Grace and Truth Church in Coram, New York. She is Past President of the Caribbean American Medical and Scientific Association.
Her heartstrings were tugged with the earthquake in Haiti. Busy with her private practice and family there was no reason to go. Most of her family had immigrated to the United States and Canada. Her love for a native country prevailed. She immediately sent emails out for donations to her professional colleagues. She left for Haiti a week later and went to the town of Leogane, one of the hardest hit areas. After many continuous visits to different towns in Haiti, Dr. Nicholas noticed that while in the town of O’Rouck that many families struggled with basic needs such as no running water, electricity, and even providing food for their children. The motivation to go back and help the people of Haiti change their lives was rooted. She founded Kindest Hearts Foundation in December of 2010. Which now built a school for over 200 students and employs over 40 people not only at the school but also at a medical clinic.
Dr. Nicholas is married to a wonderful, Nigel for 26 years and has three beautiful children, Evan, Kirsten and Jordan.
Positions Held and Associations
- President at New York State Podiatric Medical Association
- State of New York Workers' Compensation Board
- Lite Step Podiatry Wellness, PC
- Kindest Hearts Foundation, Inc.
- Haitian American Political Action Committee
- Caribbean American Medical & Scientific Association, Inc.
- Wyckoff Heights Medical Center
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
Garrett Kalmar, DPM
- Harborfields High School; Greenlawn, NY
- Indiana University; Bloomington, IN
- Temple University School Of Podiatric Medicine; Philadelphia, PA
- Roger Williams Medical Center, and 5 months at the Providence VA Medical Center: Providence, RI
- Bako Podiatric Dermatology/Dermatopathology Fellowship Training Program
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgery: Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy Course, Chicago, Il
- New York State Podiatric Medical Association
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Associate
- Board Qualified, Foot & Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery, American Board of Foot & Ankle Surgery
Publications, National Conference Presentations and Academic Lectures
- Presenter, Athletico Physical Therapy – Athletico University, “Plantar Fasciitis.” Pickerington, OH
- Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association: Kalmar G. and Doobay N., “Intramuscular Lipoma of the Flexor Hallucis Brevis Muscle.” Vol. 107, No. 1, pp. 80-84, January 2017.
- Techniques in Vascular and Interventional Radiology: Allen L, Kalmar G., Driver V., “Treatment of a High RiskDiabetic Patient with Peripheral Vascular Disease and Osteomyelitis.” Volume 19, Issue 2, Pages 96-100, June 2016
- Kalmar, Garrett. "Ankle Sprain". Ankle Sprain. Fred Ferri. 17th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2017. 91-93. Print.
- Presenter, The Podiatry Institute presents Surgical Pearls by the Sea: Current Trends in Foot and Ankle Surgery. “VTE Prophylaxis in Foot and Ankle Surgery.” Newport, Rhode Island
More about Dr. Garrett Kalmar
Garrett Kalmar, DPM is excited to be back home after working as an associate in Columbus, OH. In Ohio, he treated complex wounds in a renowned wound care center, performed surgeries in an out-patient surgical center and worked closely with two hospital systems.
He believes the most important aspects of providing quality care are listening to the patient and their needs. This is done through patient education, establishing a relationship with the patient and involving patients in their treatment plan all while providing a safe and effective evidence-based approach.